Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Charles Bradley - No Time For Dreaming (2011)


At the risk of losing my "retro-soul aficionado" credentials, I'm going to state that this album is like most Daptone releases I've heard: masterful performances of mediocre, monotonous, mostly mid-tempo, minor-keyed material. Bradley's voice is powerfully weathered and emotional while the Menahan Street band knows how to play this Southernesque soul music period-appropriately. But, for the most part, this just doesn't get me going. Yes, I realize I'm in the minority; it's where we contrarians reside.

Is "it's not the musicians, it's the material" the musical equivalent of a "it's not you, it's me" break-up?


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The better tunes are the title track, Since Our Last Goodbye, and the all-too-brief Trouble In the Land.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment