Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 27, 2018

Various Artists ‎- Love Scene: Romantic Movie Music (1999)


A 1999 compilation in Rhino's Heart Beats series. They're all from movies, but I'm not sure they're all romantic; you can judge for yourself. Hit-or-miss, I like ten of the 16 tracks, giving it a .625 batting average - not too shabby.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  1. Til I Hear It From You - The Gin Blossoms
    From the 1995 movie Empire Records, peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. Solid because Marshall Crenshaw was involved.
  2. Crazy Love - Aaron Neville Featuring Robbie Robertson
    From the 1996 movie Phenomenon, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. Nice enough, but I prefer the Van Morrison origianl.
  3. You Won't Fall - Lori Carson
    From the 1996 movie Stealing Beauty, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. Meh.
  4. It Must Be Love - Rickie Lee Jones
    From the 1991 movie Frankie and Johnny, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. Any RLJ track is welcome in this house.
  5. I'd Die Without You - P.M. Dawn
    From the 1992 movie Boomerang, peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. I actually saw that movie in the theatre. Sheesh. But I love the PM Dawn album with this on it, The Bliss Album...?
  6. God Give Me Strength - Kristen Vigard
    From the 1996 movie Grace of My Heart, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. First time I've heard this version, but I've very familiar with the tune from the Burt Bacharach - Elvis Costello collaboration, Painted From Memory. Not much difference in the two arrangements.
  7. Try A Little Tenderness - The Commitments
    From the 1991 movie The Commitments, peaked at #67 on the Billboard Hot 100. Love the soundtrack so much I purchased the superdeluxeedition.
  8. Breathless - X
    From the 1983 movie Breathless, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. I came to X a little later than most, but I dig their stuff now, including this tune, but to call it romantic movie music? C'mon, Rhino.
  9. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
    From the 1993 movie Benny & Joon, peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100. Strike two, Rhino.
  10. Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
    From the 1994 movie Reality Bites, peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. I've liked this tune from the get-go and continue to like it despite the fact it was overplayed back in 1994. As for the Reality Bites movie, it bites (too easy?)
  11. A Natural Woman (You Make Me Feel Like) - Aretha Franklin
    From the 1983 movie The Big Chill, peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Aretha showing everyone else how its done. Damn.
  12. For All We Know - Johnny Hartman
    From the 1995 movie The Bridges Of Madison County, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. Easily the most romantic song on the album. We've already proclaimed Hartman to be "one of the great voices of the 20th century" on this blog.
  13. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
    From the 1995 movie When A Man Loves A Woman, peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Many have tried to cover this tune, none have succeeded.
  14. Make Someone Happy - Jimmy Durante
    From the 1993 movie Sleepless in Seattle, did not make the Billboard Hot 100. I'm not much for Durante's vocals, but the arrangement is top notch.
  15. It Might Be You (Theme From "Tootsie") - Stephen Bishop
    From the 1982 movie Tootsie, peaked at #25 on the Billboard Hot 100. We love the soft rock goodness of Bish around here. This song was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1983, losing to Up Where We Belong.
  16. I Can Dream About You - Dan Hartman
    From the 1984 movie Streets Of Fire. I don't think much of this song, but it reminds me of getting into a club in Dallas (Monopoly?) with a fake ID because it was playing when we entered the club.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment